The cheapest way to ship internationally to Indonesia is by sea method compare by air method system of shipment. But shipping by sea taking more time to reach the destination compared to shipping by air. As we compare the price can be double when you ship by air compared you ship by sea. Here is a full comparison in regards to shipping by sea or by air to Indonesia?
Shipping by air or by sea (most common international shipping methods around South East Asia and international shipping). What you need to know about it?
Shipping by sea or by air is the most popular in Asia and South East and international shipping and you need to differentiate the positive and negative between these two. As an example, the shipping by sea can be a cheaper alternative compared on shipping by air freight.
Furthermore, shipping by air usually been consumed by the customer that demand the goods in quick and urgent need of the particular goods but with the development of air shipment and freight system, now shipping by air freight never as expensive as in the past.
In terms of urgency, shipping by air is the first choice, as the increment of the overnight shipping demand, more provider such as FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc, trying to provide the best shipping service experience to the customer but international shipping has the most difficult customs problem as each of the goods imported to one’s country controlled strictly by the official.
What is the plus point of shipping by air compared by sea?
When you ship your goods by airfreight, the main plus point is the arrival of your goods is within few days and sometimes there is an option of express shipping service that took only 1 day to arrived at the destination.
Shipping by air usually more expensive 2x or 1,5x compare shipping by sea, as the goods shipped usually in less than cargo load or 1m3 and by calculation, if you ship more than 2000 kg or more, is more economical to ship by sea compare ship by air.
Shipping by air usually charged by per kg but there might be volumetric charges as well applied if the box size of the goods is more than the real kg of the goods. Volumetric charges usually charged by the length x the height x the width / 6,000 as to compare with the real kg. Usually charged by whichever greater to ensure the goods shipped charged accordingly in the case the real kg or the box size is chargeable.
Understanding volumetric charges in shipping. What I need to know?
Volumetric charges have actually been setup up initially is to ensure the carrier and the transporter are able to maximize the invoice charges to the customer as there are no effort been wasted or any spaces been wasted in the process of shipping.
The heavier the goods, more charges should be applied as charges from the airlines is based on the real weight of the goods as compared with volumetric charges are applied due if the goods shipped have larger packaging compared to the real kg of the goods, so the shipping service provider able to charge customer accordingly due to the large size of the packaging.
The charges (volumetric) are applied due to the constraint of spaces of the mode of the transport that the goods have taken the space of. Furthermore, the warehouse charges also applied to the goods/ packaging due to high space ratio taken from the boxes when in the storage of the warehouse of the shipping company.
Why there are volumetric charges? Can you charge by the real kg instead?
As a shipping service provider, we need to ensure that we follow the international law of shipping as the rules to charge it is based on whichever greater between the real kg or volumetric kg, the main problem lies in the case of the customer ship a very light goods with large boxes as in example of a customer shipped boxes of poly table tennis balls that is very light but taking a lof spaces. The airlines and the shipping company even the storage company will charge based on volumetric charges as the spaces of shipment taken by the size of the boxes.
As if the goods shipped in nature the real kg is more than the volumetric or box charges, the airlines will charge based on the kg it related to the weight that able to be carried by plane for a particular shipment.
It is advisable for the customer to be able to calculate the real kg compared to the volumetric charges to ensure the goods shipped charges accordingly and there is no overcharge applied as to be more as efficient as possible in regards if the chargeable kg for the shipment.
Which one is better? volumetric charges or real kg charges?
For a shipping company, they calculate with whichever greater in regards to the which calculation will be charged. As the rule of thumb is to charge the customer on which one taking more effort in regards to the shipping process.
For the customer perspective, the customer usually overlooks the volumetric charges from the shipping company as to assumed the shipping company will charge by real kg instead (mostly shipped bulky items) but in the other way, the shipping company will charge it based on whichever greater, either the real kg or volumetric charges.
The best way is to measure the box of the package prior to shipping as to ensure the volumetric charges won’t exceed the real kg of the shipment (volumetric charges can be concluded as the maximum capacity in kg that the box of the package was able to handle).
What can I do to be able “to cheat” on the volumetric charges?
By means of shipping and able “to cheat” the volumetric charges is to understand how the volumetric charges work. The volumetric charges will be triggered by the package with the lightweight but have larger boxes.
As to be able “to cheat” the volumetric is to maximize the packaging of the goods as to put the volumetric measurement as close as the real kg. Try to count the sizes of length x width x height / 6,000 (conversion to the volumetric charges) and compare it with the real kg of the goods.
Try to make some adjustment in the shape of the boxes and try to experiment with different size of boxes that able to fit your goods for shipment or try to modify the boxes or packaging to ensure the goods shipped can be maximized in regards to the invoice charges.
How I can save more on shipping and also on volumetric charges (when it applied)?
Our advice for customers is to plan and prepare the packaging of the goods before commencing it. As to prepare the packaging of the goods will save you a lot of money. Also, learn how the goods are calculated by the shipping agency and the procedure.
We usually overlook the preparation steps as we tend to use any packaging that available and easy to use (or reuse) as there a volumetric charge that compared to the real kg (whichever is greater) that the shipping company will charge you with.
By maximizing the packaging, you will be able to save more on the invoice and understand the calculation of the shipping process as might be able to ensure that the charges applied are within the prediction (not overbudget).
What is the benefit of shipping by sea compared to shipping by air?
The main thing is price, as shipping by sea, a lot cheaper compared shipping by air. As the revolution of the container, cargo is helping the customer save a lot in regards to shipping charges in recent days if you ship by sea, but it took a lot of time as to clear the cargo, the transfer, storage, etc, for sea shipment compares to the air shipments.
As in air-shipment, the airport cargo clears the goods faster as the airport operation need the airlines and the operational service to increase the flow of the goods and cargo as fast as possible as to increase the profitability of the airport.
By shipping in the sea, there are charges of meter cubic charges that able to help customer save more which means the goods will be charged by the volumetric size of meter cubic instead of the real kg of the goods, it will save more money compared if the goods charges based on the real kg of the goods for bulky items.
Can you elaborate more in regards to the meter cubic charges and how it applied?
Meter cubic charges are the calculation of the charge in shipping business mostly for the sea shipment or less container load cargo. The meter cubic charges are referring to the size of the package or shipment calculated from the length x the width x the height / 1,000,000 to be converted to m3 (meter cubic).
By sea shipment of LCL (Less Container Load) by rules cheaper than by air shipment and beneficial for the customer that wants to ship bulky and heavy product shipment. The shipping company provider usually charges the customer with minimum 1m3 for each shipment but sometimes there is a company that able to charge the customer with the only 0,5m3 for minimum charges.
By nature, shipping by the sea with the calculation of M3 (meter cubic) charges price higher compared if the customer would like to ship in FCL (Full Container Load) shipment which divides into 20 footer container and 40 footer container which in general is cheaper in regards of overall charges.
How can I save more if I want to ship by meter cubic charges instead?
There are a few ways that enable you to save some more money in shipping by sea and meter cubic charges by calculating the total m3 shipment that you want to ship and bargain for more discount with your shipping agency.
Furthermore, other ways are to check the size of the boxes or shipping charges and maximize the packaging to ensure the boxes of the goods can be as compact as possible that your calculation of total meter cubic can be less and able to save you some charges.
The last one that you can try is to ask the shipping company to compare the quotation by 20 footer container to the LCL cargo shipment that you wanted to ship. In some cases, if the total of your shipment can reach around 15-20m3, you can use 20 footers container with cheaper charges.
We believe that our company purpose is to simplify the process of shipping your goods to Indonesia. Our company jobs are:
- Help you arranging your shipment from the point of origin to your destination effortlessly. As if required, we can arrange the pick up based on your request and time of pick up for delivery purposes at the point of origin.
- Allow you to access the information at the real-time on where is the location of your goods during transit. We believe that our company needs to provide you with online real-time information where is the location is as we value your shipment and we understand on how important it is for you to be able to locate your goods in every step of delivery until it reached your destination safely.
- Handle customs clearance and duty payment. With our expertise and our customs brokerage system, we will help you and your company to pay the tax to the customs and handle the paperwork based on Indonesia customs requests on behalf of you.
- Support the development of your company to the next level. As we believe that our job is to keep you and your company grow if you want to build a customer based in Indonesia as an online retailer or seller, our time-definite shipment will help you cater to your customer needs.
Here are a few functions of the shipping company for the larger economy in the nations:
- Express shipping company are able to network and reach world economy globally
With the globalization, the express shipping company able to help individual or companies to ship the product globally and connect the countries in regards to indirect trade for the buying and selling process.
- Expertise to navigate for import and export custom regulation
The express shipping company has a competitive advantage in regards to the import and export custom regulation based on the company operate. Even so, the big 4; DHL, UPS, FedEx, and TNT dominate the market globally, each express shipping company should be able to give an explanation and understand better the customs regulation regionally.
That is why a customer needs to find a company that has better knowledge in regards to customs regulation.
- Overall cost savings for companies in the system of distribution
Nowadays, express shipping company able to help the industry which operates drop shipping services to the customer. The company does not need to have a lot of stock of goods standing by, the express shipping company able to help the company calculate the procurement and warehouse system for companies to deliver directly to the customer. (business to customer)
SindoShipping has been established as the best performance in freight forwarding service to Indonesia since 2001 in Singapore to bring the solution for the businesses or end-to-end customer which have been searching around for more affordable rates to ship their goods to all over the city in Indonesia, by using Singapore as the transit point, or the main shipping hub.
By creating a value of supply chain management for customer on handling the customer goods and business, we value each of our customers by performing in professional manner and with the highest integrity to excel and work effectively above their expectation and to be able to fulfil our customer demand by keeping our promises because we do believe how important each shipment or business that our customer trusted us with.
As we understand the few challenges for customers on ordering goods to Indonesia are:
- Many sites registered overseas do not recognize Indonesia registered address to send the packages due to the high case of credit card fraud.
- The expense of shipping is quite expensive if you ship by the big 4; DHL, FedEx, TNT, and UPS.
- Difficulties in clearing the customs clearance in Indonesia with a lot of bureaucracy.
- Perception on high taxes as more than 1 tax you need to pay when you import the goods to Indonesia. Few are import tax, VAT tax, income tax, additional of luxury goods tax (if your goods under categorized of luxury goods).
SindoShipping specialized on liquid/ chemical items, medical products, & personal effects air shipment from Singapore to Indonesia & daily hand-carry Singapore-Batam and we ship effectively and committed to providing the best service to Indonesia.
By partnering with us, your company eligible to use our office address in Singapore as the main shipping address and our staff with help you label the address on the package to your customer directly. Our company offers you a simple way to import your goods to Indonesia by using Singapore as your transit point to Indonesia. Few benefits on using Singapore as transit points:
- No customs hassle, as in Singapore the customs import tax and procedure is fair and square based on the regulation stated.
- Singapore based address is recognized by online retailers around the world.
- By using Singapore address, you able to get more profiles on your account in an online merchant.
- Singapore address is more reliable to track online with International Shipping companies such as FedEx, UPS, DHL, etceteras.
- You can consolidate your shipment through Singapore to save more cost.
- You are able to shop any product locally ( in Singapore) with more variant and easy access.
- Obtain a free address to use for your shipment internationally.
- Received up to SGD$400 free tax from Singapore Customs (GST is calculated based on the Cost, Insurance, and Freight (CIF) value of the goods, together with all duties payable). Refer to: Singapore Custom
- We help you to pay your import tax to a government with Free of Charge (FOC).
Here is the complete price list of shipping to Indonesia:
- All Charges inclusive Indonesia custom tax and brokerage fee
- Estimates arrival time: 3-5 working days to the destination Java and Sumatra
All inclusive Tiki / JNE / Local charges to door
Note: All shipment must be directed to our Singapore warehouse address
For high-value item such as machinery, high-value spare part, semiconductor, electronics, we recommend using the transit service shipping packages. Transit service shipping package can save you more money by not paying GST in Singapore and do transshipment to Jakarta. We will help you arrange the shipment while arriving in Singapore. Do contact our agent to have our partner address at FTZ for transshipment shipping.
The charges implied for transshipment shipping in Singapore:
- Handling charges of SGD 250
- Paperwork charges of SGD 50
By Sea shipment from Singapore to Indonesia:
All in charges with minimum charges 1m3 = 167kg for any shipment (applicable 0,5m3 on special circumstances)
- Kota Jabodetabek – IDR 13,000,000 per m3. Est 21-30 days est
- Jawa Timur, Jawa Tengah dan Yogya, & Sumatra- IDR 18,000,000 per m3. Est 21-44 days
- Kota Bandung, Jawa Barat – IDR 15,000,000 per m3. Est 21-30 days
- Kalimantan / Borneo – IDR 21,000,000 per m3. Est 21-44 days
- Bali and Nusa – IDR 21,000,000 per m3. Est 21-44 days
- Sulawesi – IDR 23,000,000 per m3. Est 30-60 days
- Papua – IDR 30,000,000 per m3. Est 60-90 days