Maybe you are looking to learn how to ship your goods to Indonesia or you have shipped a lot of stuff to Indonesia before. Either way, you need to read this article to understand how exactly shipping to Indonesia works and what not to do when you ship your goods to Indonesia.
Few of us understand that shipping goods or parcels to Indonesia can be tricky and inviting a lot of question on know-how. Here in SindoShipping, our aim is to share much information as possible to the public on how to ship goods to Indonesia the proper way.
Shipping basic that you need to know is to find what exactly under what category of goods you would like to ship to Indonesia. Every product will have different treatment by the Indonesian customs
What is the different treatment from customs?
Goods categorized as fashion goods consider easy to ship to Indonesia such as clothing, shoes, accessories, etc, compared to electronics or spare parts or even cosmetics and related health products.
In terms of basic personal consumer goods, the price of the goods basically is relatively low compared to electronics which can be slightly higher. It is safe to assume the customs will look after the high value-oriented products.
Generally, your daily basis such as clothing, shoes, accessories, basic bags, etc, can be categorized under low value except for branded goods will have easy access to be shipped to Indonesia compare to high-value goods such as consumer electronics, appliances, spare parts will have more checks as customs will assume it will obtain higher values for taxation purposes.
Another category that will have such a challenge is under health and beauty products such as cosmetics, body care, vitamins, supplements, essential oil, etc, as it might need approval from the health department of Indonesia before the goods are able to bypass the customs in Indonesia.
Furthermore, in this category, the goods might have a higher value compared to basic essentials such as clothing, shoes, etc. Basically, the customs will judge it first in regard to the general conception of the pricing in the category.
Why this all is important?
It is important because we need to understand what roughly the customs clearance official will look after in every good that coming to Indonesia. Customs mainly will look for illegal drugs, firearms, illegal flora, and fauna, alcohol, dangerous products, and lastly to the consumer goods or electronics.
So the aim of the customs is to confiscate illegal goods that come to the country (security purpose) then to make sure every good or parcel by passing custom is regulated (regulatory compliances), collecting tax on every good that come into the country (revenue collection) and lastly make sure all of the trade between countries all in place (trade facilitation).
In that matter, you can categorize whether your goods are on “high risk” or “low risk” before you ship your product to Indonesia. When your goods are on “high risk” do expect a delay or even more holding up period on the custom and if your goods are under “low risk”, it safe to say that your parcel will easily pass the customs clearance.
So what you should not do when you ship your goods to Indonesia?
Here are a few tips on what not to do when you ship your goods to Indonesia:
- Do not ship goods above USD 3 except if you want to pay 7.5% import duties taxes, 10% VAT (Value-Added Taxes), 10 percent income tax 22 if you have national code registration tax, if you don’t have the charges would be 20 %, additional tax between 40-120% depends on whether your goods under the luxury category or not. The key is trying to separate your shipment if the different days of arriving in Indonesia as the USD 3 free tax minimum is based on per person per day.
- Do not falsely declared your goods invoice or undervalue your goods as in result if you get caught, your goods might be confiscated as your shipment can be categorized as smuggling as the penalty is quite severe.
- Do not claim your goods as “the gift” as it is too common for customs to see the statement of documents on a daily basis of the goods coming in. As is quite suspicious, the customs might as well check and inspect your goods thoroughly.
- Do not pack your goods improperly. It is critical to understand how you pack your goods is quite a factor critical to your shipment. Shape, security, ease of customs clearance, risk, etc, all factoring as benefit or loss if you package your goods in the proper way or not.
- Do not ship goods without understanding clearly the regulation, that is why it the best to find a shipping agency that can explain to you better in regards of regulation or situation that you will be into when you ship your goods. Best to have good advice and keep asking for a better understanding.
SindoShipping believes that our company purpose is to simplify the process of shipping your goods to Indonesia. Our company jobs are:
- Help you arranging your shipment from the point of origin to your destination effortlessly. As if required, we can arrange the pick up based on your request and time of pick up for delivery purposes at the point of origin.
- Allow you to access the information at the real-time on where is the location of your goods during transit. We believe that our company needs to provide you with online real-time information where is the location is as we value your shipment and we understand on how important it is for you to be able to locate your goods in every step of delivery until it reached your destination safely.
- Handle customs clearance and duty payment. With our expertise and our customs brokerage system, we will help you and your company to pay the tax to the customs and handle the paperwork based on Indonesia customs requests on behalf of you.
- Support the development of your company to the next level. As we believe that our job is to keep you and your company grow if you want to build a customer based in Indonesia as an online retailer or seller, our time-definite shipment will help you cater to your customer needs.
Contact our staff now for any inquiry or you have any question need to be answered in regards to shipping to Indonesia. Please do not hesitate to check as consultation is absolutely free.